UPDATE: I’ve been linked at Out of Ur, GetReligion and all over today. I want to say two things to all of them: 1) The CSM piece was on the commentary page. It is commentary, not news or research. 2) I did not say that evangelicalism is dying. I said it is going to decline quickly to a smaller, more chastened, more diverse, less influential form.
For all my new readers, here are the original, longer and more detailed “Coming Evangelical Collapse” posts.
Couple of notes on the original posts that may clear up some commenter feedback:
1) I clearly said that evangelicalism was going to suffer a collapse, not at all meaning it would die. I said that HALF of evangelicals would be something else within 2-3 generations/10-20 years.
2) I clearly said I am not a researcher or a prophet.
3) I am all about church planting and new churches.
4) Megachurch evangelicalism will survive on size, not on fidelity to the Gospel.
5) Pentecostalism has more energy, not less problems. It is also more cross cultural and open to the work of the Spirit.