Greetings one and all! Your favorite rambling iMonk here to serve you the leftover goodies from a very busy week. On a personal note, I finished the first draft of a project that was taking way, way too long. I felt like I was swimming upstream in a river of mud. But I sent it off yesterday morning. Yes, there will be revisions, but I can handle revisions. Now on to writing what I love writing more than anything. Let’s make some Saturday Ramblings, shall we?
Sigh … I really, really wanted to not write about Mark Driscoll today. I really tried not to. But when you combine Driscoll with Liberty University, with an innocent blogger caught in the middle, well, you know it is going to have to be mentioned. I really don’t know who to cheer for in this battle. So what do you think: Should Driscoll speak at Liberty University? And how should Liberty apologize to Peter Lumpkin?
From the Opening-A-Can-Of-Worms department is the story of a teacher at a private Christian school in Texas who was fired for getting pregnant before she got married. Terminating the employment of a pregnant woman based on her pregnancy is against both Texas and United States laws. But the headmaster of the school said all of his teachers are “ministers” as well as teachers and are not subject to those laws. Ok then …
Well, the smarter one gets … Seems Lifeway Research recently asked 1,000 Protestant pastors to respond to this statement: “If a person is sincerely seeking God, he/she can obtain eternal life through religions other than Christianity.” Not surprisingly, 77 percent strongly disagreed with the statement. What is surprising is that of the remaining 23 percent, those most likely to agree held post-graduate degrees. Maybe I’m glad I haven’t gone after my doctorate after all.
Snake handling? Really? Oh, in Tennessee. I get it.
Southern Baptists have moved on past their racially-divided past, right? Hold the phone. Richard Land brought out a fan to get the race issue flaming up again. Anyone else think that maybe he should stick to preaching from Scripture?
I never thought I would type the phrase “imprecatory prayer,” but a court’s ruling in Texas brought it to the forefront this week. I doubt many churches have a Minister of Imprecatory Prayer. If yours does, let us know. We want to write about someone other than Mark Driscoll this week …
And from the town next to the town in Ohio where your rambler first rambled (52 years ago, thank you!), a judge has decided it’s ok for a Waynesville High School student to wear a t-shirt proclaiming that Jesus was not a homophobe. Of course he wasn’t. Still isn’t. Must have been a really slow week for courts in Texas and Ohio.
The wackiest story of the week? You know there has to be a really crazy one if Ed Young, Jr. is only the runner-up. Ed brought animals on stage for his Easter message. A lamb. And a lion. People in Texas got their undies all in a bunch over this. Hey—at least we didn’t have to watch Ed and his wife in bed on the roof of their church this time.
No, the wackiest story of the week is about a new app for your iPhone. Don’t you want a Personal Jesus app? C’mon! You know you want to have a personalized Jesus quote Bible verses on your phone. Watch the trailor on this site—but not if you are eating at the time. As the site promotes, Since Jesus is all around, you can watch him walking on water, having his last supper, being crucified, resurrected or in heaven. And since he is also universal and personally done for you…pick his color! White, Black, Asian or Celtic! Really. I am not making this up.
Happy birthday wishes go out to Percy Faith; James Garner; Francis Ford Coppola; John “Hall and” Oates; Mary Pickford; Steve Howe; Julian Lennon; Earl “Curly” Lambeau; Carl Perkins; Cheetah; Harry Morgan; Brian Setzer; Ethel Kennedy; Tom Clancy; David Letterman; and Al Green.
Music is supposed to be fun, and it doesn’t get much funner than Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats. Enjoy!