Is it “biblical” to believe that the moon emits its own light? Read the following, and come to your own conclusion.
ALREADY COMPROMISED: Moon Edition
by Jon Henry
Bible believers must defend the truth that the moon emanates its own light. Contrary to the revelation of the Bible, modern science wants people to believe that the moon does not have the ability to generate light. Instead, they want us to believe that the moon merely reflects the light of the sun.
Not only is it ridiculous to believe that a rock could reflect the light of a sun millions of miles away, but it’s also unbiblical!
It is important to note the teaching that is consistent across the whole of the Bible.
- Evidence from the Creation Account. The creation account of Genesis 1:16-18 clearly indicates that the moon is a light all of its own. Verse 16 calls the moon the “lesser” of “the two great lights.” The verb “to light” (lehāʼîr) in verse 17 literally means that the moon itself gives light – there is no way out of this meaning! While its light is less than that of the sun (until Isaiah 30:26 is fulfilled!), the moon is a “light” in its own right, independent of the sun.
- Teaching throughout the Old Testament. According to Job 31:26, the moon has its own splendor. The moon can be darkened independently of the sun (Ecclesiastes 12:2; Isaiah 24:23; Ezekiel 32:7; Joel 2:10; Joel 3:15). Note that the light of the moon is “its light” (Isaiah 13:10; Ezekiel 32:7), not “the light of the sun, which the moon reflects.” One day, the Lord promises to eradicate night time by making the moon shine as brightly as the sun currently does (Isaiah 30:26). At some time subsequent to this, the Lord will altogether eradicate the need for the moon to shine its light (Isaiah 60:19-20; cf. Revelation 21:23).
- Jesus Taught That the Moon Gave Its Own Light. Jesus obviously believed that the light of the moon is “its light” (Matthew 24:29; Mark 13:24). This truth is driven home by the original Greek, because “its light” is a translation of the Greek words phengos autēs, literally, “The light of it/her.” The word autēs is in the feminine case, and cannot modify the word for sun, which is a masculine word (ho hēlios). Rather, it modifies the word for moon, which is also a feminine case (hē selēnē). This clearly points to the reality that the light of the moon is literally “its own light.” Jesus could not have been more clear in his belief that the sun has one source of light that will be darkened one day, and that the moon has its own source of light that will be extinguished.
In spite of Jesus’ beliefs, “science” has taught us from a young age that the moon does not radiate light. Thus, we are forced to choose between Jesus and modern science – who will you choose to believe?
- Paul Also Defended a Luminescent Moon. This truth is repeated explicitly by Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:41, “There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon.” The term “glory” refers to brightness or radiance. “Another” means just what it says - it isn’t the same!That is, the sun and the moon have their own source of brightness. Paul makes the moon’s ability to shine a crucial part of his teaching on the resurrection of believers’ glorified bodies. Thus, implying that the moon doesn’t give off its own light is a direct blow against the doctrine of individual resurrection and glorification.
Why do so many today deny the biblical doctrine of resurrection? It started way back when people began to deny “little” truths, such as the Bible’s teaching regarding the light of the moon.
Conclusion. Nowhere does the Bible even hint at the idea that the moon’s light is derived from the sun. Modern science has its own brand of “orthodoxy,” and anyone who doesn’t believe the “discoveries” of modern science is considered a heretic in the eyes of science. However, we have seen that the Bible offers us a different worldview (and moon-view!):
- Every Old Testament author who mentions the moon is clear that it has its own light.
- Paul ties it directly to the doctrines of resurrection and glorification.
- Jesus himself couldn’t have been clearer in the defense of a luminescent moon.
When faced with a choice between the “truth” of science and the truth of the one who created the moon to begin with, Christians must side with the Creator!
* * *
To adapt some wise words: “And of course, the reason the Church greats of the past (whether Luther, Calvin, Gill, or whomever) never thought of this because they did not discover how ancient Near Eastern cultures were thinking! This has now been discovered by an elite few who can now tell us for the first time” what the Bible means when it talks about the light of the moon (adapted from Ham, Already Compromised, 186).
Outside of the Bible, you will find that no sane theologian, philosopher, or sage was bold enough to repeat the lie of a reflective moon prior to our godless age.
Martin Luther is clear:
When the sun rises, it eclipses and pales the moon. Moon and stars lose their brightness, yes, they are no longer seen while it is day, so brilliant is the light of the sun beside theirs. I suppose that moon and stars would be glad to shine, but the light of the sun is too bright and strong. The same thing is true of Christ. The prophets are the stars and the moon, but Christ is the sun. Wherever Christ appears, speaks, and shines, His words have a validity that invalidates and stifles all others and renders them of no account, even though the moon and the stars also glitter and glisten beautifully. (Martin Luther, vol. 23, Luther’s Works, Vol. 23 : Sermons on the Gospel of St. John: Chapters 6-8, ed. Jaroslav Pelikan, et. al. [Saint Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1999], Jn 7:44.)
But it was not just the fathers of the sola scriptura reformation who stood with us on the truth of a self-illuminating moon. The great minds among the ancients, both Greek and Hebrew testify that the moon gives off its own unique light (and warmth!).
Plutarch, in his Morals (3.10.2) says:
The moon gently warming makes the body moist; but the sun by his violent beams dries rather, and draws all moisture from them … Now the moon’s rays are weaker; for, as Ion says, “They do not ripen well the clustered grapes.” [Plutarch, vol. 3, Plutarch's Morals, ed. Goodwin (Medford, MA: Little, Brown, and Company, 1874], 285.)
The Rabbis speak:
Can there be confusion between the light of the moon and the light of the sun? But has it not been taught on Tannaite authority: Rabbi says, “The rising column of the moon is not similar to that of the sun. The light column of the moon rises straight, like a stick, but that of the sun [which is the dawn] radiates in all directions.” (Jacob Neusner, vol. 5a, The Babylonian Talmud: A Translation and Commentary [Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 2011], 100.)
Why do modern schools, colleges, seminaries, television shows, and even some creation scientists teach a doctrine contrary to the Reformation, and not known to the great minds of the Greek Philosophers and Jewish Rabbis? By forsaking God’s clear word, they sacrificed the wisdom of the ages and set the stage for evolution, heliocentrism, a moving earth, and all other innovations. In turn, God has given their reprobate minds over to all manner of depravity.
Is this what you want to be a part of?